Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kitchen Confidential Inspired

All things begin with something that is so emotionally charged that you know the strom is on the way and its going to fucking blow your pants away. So this is a new series I am thinking of writing. It is just an effort that would hopefully keep The-Girl-Have-Never-Met-But-Am-Head-Over-Heels-In-Love-With interested in me. Its something that hopefully I'll be more deligent about actually completing. So it starts with a solemn vow made over an email and here it is.
Dear The-Girl-Have-Never-Met-But-Am-Head-Over-Heels-In-Love-With,
It seems every time I talk to you, I run out of time more quickly than I run out of topics. The distance is something that gives me this sudden sense of urgency and a sense of you might slip away when I am not looking. Anyway, I am also taking this as a personal errand to get back to writing more often than I have in the past. It's perhaps a great way to document personal and cultural experiences. I think I have been rather fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit all these places and experience the local sights, sounds, foods and people at such close quarters. You can choose to humor it all and let it slide or reply and let me know what's happening at your end.
Over the years I have realized that the experiences positive or negative have deep rooted connections with your own state of mind. It is extremely difficult to remember those external factors that contribute in making those moments into memories, forever cherished or forever regretted. I'll try to join those dots that are molding my thoughts and with them the experiences that I go through.
Before I begin to narrate my daily-diary routine, I would like to put it down that this whole thing was actually inspired by Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I think as a hospitality professional one comes across a number of characters from all levels of the socio-economic strata, some from the backwaters of a lost part of the country where opportunities as sparse as the hope of change, some from such privileged backgrounds that abundance is the only experience they have ever experienced. However, all of these people in their paradoxical connectivity make the world around us such a wonderfully diverse place. I am trying to document those that I have casual acquaintance with and the one's who have a profound effect, those who you always saw in the corridors but never spoke to and those who became friends forever.
I am also trying to document the literature and art that opens those hidden windows that one finally derives a meaning of life from. Collectively this is the memoir of a compulsive traveler.
Cheers
Nutees

No comments: